Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Interview Time

I have come to realize that the process of using a recruiting agency and getting an interview is very different in Korea than here in Canada. I am working with a company called Teach ESL Korea. So far they have been great to me. They are so helpful in explaining all the details of getting my documentation ready and things I need to consider. I have a Teacher Representative, who I work with that helps me with the above, and a School Representative who I talk to almost every day via Skype and he gives me possible jobs and sets up interviews. When I talk to Scott, its interesting because it seems like he is doing a million things at once. I can hear conversations going on in the background and multiple phones going off and he answering them, it seems crazy to me but it's how he works. Unfortunately the job in Andong, did not work out as the school decided they wanted to hire someone who is already in Korea. That was a bummer, but understandable considering the cost of flying a student to their school. At first I was disappointed but then was a little relieved because of the reading I had done about the place stated how it is a little secluded and travelling out of the city can be a little difficult and time consuming. Scott gave me a couple more options he had for me and he contacted the school with my resume and introduction video that I made. Last night I had an interview at one of the schools, It is for a place called Kids College, in Gimhae which is 30 minutes away from Busan. Considering I really wanted to go to Busan to begin with but heard it is very difficult to get a position there, I was ecstatic. The interview was very casual and lasted for about 40 minutes. Apparently this is unusual for an interview for a teaching job in Korea. Usually they interviews are quite formal and last maybe 5 minutes. My interview was with the current foreign teach who's position I would be taking over. She was super nice and gave me a lot of information about life in Korea. I also liked that she didn't sugarcoat it for me. She flat out said that it is going to be challenging especially for the first few months. The hours are 10-6 and mornings are with Kindergarten students (aged 3-6) who are the most challenging, and the afternoons are with Elementary students (aged 7-11). She explained that breaks are not likely, and that the students especially the young ones can be a lot to handle, but you have to keep your cool and control and make the best of it. In the end she said that she would put a good word in with the directors. I really liked her. So now it's just the waiting game. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment