Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day in Korea

This past Thursday was Valentine's Day. Korean's celebrate love day a little differently from back home. First of all, it isn't thrown in your face everywhere you go. I like that. Being single on Valentine's day back home feels worse than it does here. Stores do bring in some extra chocolate, so I bought some Hershey's Kisses to give to my students. I also bought some chocolate for my co-workers, and the director's children.

Valentine's day in Korea is a day for the women to give chocolates to the men in their life. It was a little strange that my male co-worker was actually expecting chocolate from me and asked me, "Where's my chocolate Emma?" I mean I did have some for him but I kind of wanted to tell him to "Slow your roll!" I doubt he would understand that idiom though. On March 15th, Korea has White day where the men then treat the women in their lives. It seems a little heterosexist to me, but Korean's don't exactly acknowledge that not everyone is heterosexual.

Most of my kids were very thankful to get chocolate from me and others begged for more. Later on in the day my students were really quite hyper and had a hard time focusing, so we played some games.

Many of my students brought me chocolate as well and by the end of the day I felt like I had eaten my body weight in chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment