Sunday, July 13, 2014

Daewangam Park

If you read my blog, you know that I've got about 4 months left before I am heading back to Canada. With the end drawing near, I have created a "Korea Bucket List" and some of the items are places here in Ulsan. There really is so much to see even in your own city, that it's hard to see everything. There is this park, called Daewangam that I have heard is really nice. I can now confirm, it is really nice!

It's way out in Dong-gu, the eastern part of Ulsan, and it takes me almost 2 hours to get there via bus from Namchang. I got off the bus at Ilsan Beach, and met my friend. As you walk along the beach, you can see all kinds of restaurants, coffee shops, and arcades. Now that it is in the middle of summer, there are quite a few families hanging out at the beach, swimming or lounging. As you walk to the end of the beach, there is a big set of stairs heading up into a forested area that is known as Daewangam Park. There are a number of trails you can walk around and see. My friend and I chose the A course on our way to the lighthouse, and the famous bridge, and the B course back since we were getting hungry and wanted the easiest route back to the beach.

The rocks along the water and the trail, are really unique and have a reddish tinge to them. It was a super beautiful area and a nice walk. It was really humid when we went, but being surrounded by trees helps to keep cool.

Once you reach the bridge that connects some large rocks together, it gets a little more crowded with people, but the wind there is fantastic. You feel rewarded for enduring the humid trail by a nice constant cool wind. Hearing the waves on the rocks is also nice and soothing.

The most exciting thing I saw there was a couple of cats hanging out on the rocks and playing around. It was a cute sight and they seemed so out of place.

Overall this is a great site to see in Ulsan, and I would highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment