Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Shopping Adventure


Today I ventured out and did a little shopping!
I ventured out to a new area of Ulsan called Seongnam-dong. It is usually referred to as "old downtown". While on the bus one of my students came on and said a quick hello. And questioned my being alone. I don't think many young adults do anything alone here. I made it to Seongnam and it was pretty cool. There were many shops and the streets were so tiny but with crowded with people and all kinds of shopping places. My mission today was to find some gifts for my co-teachers and the director and her family. I also wanted to go to this stationery/art supply store in Samsan to get supplies so the kids can make Christmas cards this week. I went to the bus stop to wait for the bus that would take me to Samsan from Seongnam but it ended up driving right passed me so instead of waiting another half hour I decided to walk there. This took me about an hour and I was a little lost. For some reason it escaped my mind that I packed a map of Ulsan in my purse... While on my walk a small dog started to follow me for about a mile and he was so cute! I had to take his picture. After a while I was starting to think that I was walking a little too far and if I was going the wrong way it would take a great deal of time to find my way back where I came. However, the next street was labeled Samsan-ri. I did it. My usual lack of directionality was not evident for one. I found the stationery store and was in heaven as it was 4 levels. I was able to find red and green paper but there wasn't much else Christmas-y. We will figure it out tomorrow though. I ended up spending about 50,000 won there after all was said and done but it was worth it. I managed to find gifts for my co-teachers but still nothing for my director. I was able to buy myself a few items as well (of course). One thing that I love and have bought a few of it scrunchies. These are seen as a thing of the past back home in Canada but they are quite popular here in Korea and I am in love. I also got myself some warm socks and an infinity scarf, or what they refer to as a "muffler". Eventually I made my way back home to make some dinner but was happy to see some nicely lit trees before leaving that put me in a good mood.



No comments:

Post a Comment